Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Singing the Scriptures


I love finding songs when I'm reading the Bible. They're not just in Psalms, ya know.
I was reading in the book of Numbers (yes, you can read Numbers) last night, when I came across the scripture where Moses declared "Rise up, O LORD! May your enemies be scattered; may your foes flee before you." (10:35) Moses said this every time the cloud of the LORD lifted from the tent of meeting & set out from the Israelite camp. The LORD directed the Israelites in the wilderness by a cloud at day & a pillar of fire at night. Once the tent of meeting (tabernacle) was complete, the cloud/fire rested over the tent. When God moved, the Israelites moved. When God stopped, the Israelites stopped. Simple obedience.
I remember singing a praise song: "Let God arise, may His enemies be scattered. Let God arise, may His enemies be scattered. Oh, let God arise, may His enemies be scattered. Let God, Let God arise." (You remember it, Di?)
Whenever I come to a scripture that I know as a song, I like to mark it in my Bible with a little musical note. That way, when I'm looking for scripture to sing, it's easier to find. (I don't usually look in Numbers, though.)
"Whenever it came to rest, [Moses] said, "Return, O LORD, to the countless thousands of Israel." (10:36)
We don't have a cloud or fire to help us follow God, but we do have His Word. And, when we are following God, He clears the path for us & gives us rest at the end of our journey.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always excited when I come across one of those! Usually when I do I find that the song really speaks to me at that time in my life. I love the idea of the musical note.

    ReplyDelete